Friday, March 16, 2012

My train, subway trips

experiencing a lot of train rides for the past trips.. And suddenly adapting to the sudden change of from the use of ticket to token by monorail in Kuala Lumpur, attracted me to writing this post today. I encountered so many occurrence of which widen my view and knowledge regarding trains and stuff and I wish to share them here before I forget.
First thing first. Punctuality. As many of known, Japanese are punctual, and so does the train. But at certain times, especially in the morning, sometimes they do turned up late, of which resulting super packed tuna train. And if this happens, you'll listen to a lot of apologies, be it from the recorded voice and the train driver itself. Every single station, you'll hear the same thing, be it from the train operator and also from the announcement by the station master. And sometimes, it gets irritating. Even one of my Japanese friend even said that he's tired of listening the same thing over and over again. But the best part when the trains were late is you could get some sort of letter/certificate from the train company itself and you can use them and give it to your lecturer or your boss if you are late for work or classes. :D as for the case in Malaysia.. If the train is late, they'll just cancel the train trip and make it as the next train instead, which resulting the passengers waiting double the time they are supposed to. Double trouble.
If I were to talk or brag about Japanese train... It would be somehow an endless topic. I love love love Japanese train system!! Which resulted me in applying for the job in train management/control division in the company I am about to join. The train network in Tokyo is tremendous! You could go anywhere in Tokyo by train, that it's not too extreme if I said that you can always find a train station in 10-15 minutes radius from where you stand in Tokyo. It's everywhere.
Other thing that helps to improve the smoothness of the passenger going in and off train and station is definitely the ticket/card system. I have bought several one day ticket in a few countries, and it's interesting how each work. In amsterdam, japan, Spain, the ticket is only valid until midnight of the day you bought the ticket. But in Rome, Italy, the ticket is valid for 24 hours from the time you buy/validate the ticket. So, if you buy it at 1pm today, you can still use it till 12.59pm the next day. Which, in my opinion, quite realistic or wallet friendly method.
In an attempt to reducing pollution from using paper ticket, many countries has adapt the use of the "touch n go" card (in Malaysia), which also help in reducing the hassle of lining up buying ticket every time you Want to have a train ride. There's Oyster in London, Suica/Pasmo in Japan, Chipkart in Amsterdam, Tap in LA.. But... The best is definitely the ones in Japan!! Haha.. The use of Suica/Pasmo in Japan in endless!! It could act as your debit card even as a key to your locker. The amount of money you charge on the card can be used when you shop at the convenience store, or dining out at a coffee shop, buy bottled water from the vending machine.. Etc. And the process is superrrrrr fast!! Incomparable to other card IMHO. Thanks to the FeliCa chip created by Sony.
However, in some countries, there is no point having an efficient ticketing system because of honesty system/policy they call it. Basically, you can have a free ride without any ticket because you can go through the gate without having to touch the card
, or ticket inserted at the gate. I've seen this in Amsterdam, Brussels, Venice, and LA. Good at one point, and not at the other.
And recently, I've got the chance to take a ride on the new commuter train from Putra station to Seremban. The train was launched exactly a week before, and guess what? The mirror of the fire extinguisher of the new coach is already broken. I'm perpetually clueless as to why we can't cooperate to take good care of the public properties..?

Oops! writer's block came! =.=" I guess I just leave it hanging here for this time.
Tata!
Personal notes:
Flight back to Narita tonight. Marking a new phase of my life. Graduation on Sunday, and will be start working in two weeks time, at Akihabara FTW!! :)

Sent from my iPhone

No comments: